Thursday, April 15, 2010

Crockpots

So the whole idea of the crockpot was sold to me as this wonderful way to just throw some stuff in there, have it cook all day, and come home to a nice home cooked meal. Needless to say, I rushed to the nearest Wal-Mart to get one.

Then I started looking for recipes for said crockpot, but for some reason, most of them require you to cook for 1 hour, then add something, then cook another hour, then stir a little, or cook for 3 hours... Huhhh, Hello?? Most work days are 7-8 hours, not 3, and how are we supposed to do all those steps in between? Whatever happened to just throwing stuff in there and ending up with a great, no-fuss meal? Maybe I misunderstood and we are supposed to take the crockpot to work with us? It's the only way someone could make one of those recipes that require 20 steps.

So now that I'm home most of the day I thought I would give it another shot, and I tried this recipe (Taste of Home Magazine, December 2008), it was pretty good, but I bought the wrong kind of roast by mistake, I used a rib pork roast, instead of shoulder like the recipe required. It was VERY greasy since it's a fatter kind of roast. I'm thinking it would have been better with the right cut of meat.

I would recommend to use quite a bit of salt since everything in the crockpot seems to lose its flavor.

1 comment:

  1. I love my crockpot. I don't ever use those crazy recipes that call for all that extra adding and stuff. Throw it in and leave it. Although I did try to make a Coq au Vin in mine the other day and it tasted like ass meat.

    ReplyDelete